Monday, November 5, 2012

Catherine Elena's Baby Quilt - In process, November 2012

Alexandra's baby sister is coming in January 2013 so it's time for another quilt. Niece Ellen invited me over to see the newly painted room - pink! Now I have to say I am not a pink person. But it is good for me to work outside of my usual palette of colors, right?

The timing coincided with Fabric Depot's montly 35% off sale so away I went on the hunt for pink. I was walking up and down the aisles and spotted this fabric and thought - this is it! (Okay. For those of you who know me you can see that I did manage to find fabric that works in colors that seem to find their way in to many of my pieces. But I do have pink too!)


Robert Kaufman - "Dress Up" - #13063
My journal page of the palette
(somehow this came out upside down)
The design I am doing is a wonky log cabin inspired by a quilt photo I saw in Angela Walters' book, Free-Motion Quilting with Angela Walters (1979, pp.86-87). The quilt, entitled "Housing Project", was designed and pieced by Scott Hansen and quilted by Angela Walters.





Here is what is up on my design wall so far. The small squares are the centers for the wonky log cabin blocks. The finished size will be roughly 48" x 53". 

I can hardly wait to get further along but it will have to wait until my afternoon tutoring sessions are over today. I feel a long night coming on in what Mark refers to as "The Sweat Shop". Too much fun.















1 comment:

  1. Susan I really like the layout you have on the design wall. Looking forward to seeing the log cabin blocks go up!

    ReplyDelete