Saturday, January 19, 2013

Ellen & Andru's Table Runner

Started: Dec. 2012
Completed: Jan. 14, 2013
Size: 16 3/8" x 74"

This table runner was a late wedding present for my niece and her husband (they had two babies before I got around to making this). I just delivered it to them today. The batik fabrics are from The Stitchin' Post (Sisters, OR) and Fabric Depot (Portland). The gold border is from Tea Time Calicos (Beaverton, OR).

I quilted a floral pattern to reflect the pattern in their Lenox china "Floral Fusion"

...and it's reversible. The colors on the front match their dining room and  their "fancy" china but I felt the colors and pattern were a bit too much for the Lenox dishes. I had some batik fabric on hand that was a good match so I pieced that together for the back and added a narrow inner border of purple.

The back with the Lenox dishes
So what now?  I have a few projects yet to be finished, and no known babies or marriages on the horizon, so perhaps I will tackle those next.

Morgan & Reed's Baby Quilt

Started: Dec. 10, 2012
Completed: Jan. 8, 2013
Size: 44 1/2" x 47 3/4"

Another baby on the way and another excuse to make a quilt. I purchased the fabrics for the front at the Stitchin' Post in Sisters, Oregon in the fall. While Morgan was here for Thanksgiving I showed her the fabrics to see if she was okay with the colors before I got going with the quilt. She loved them, so I was all set. Once I had the front pieced I located a great backing flannel at Cool Cottons in Portland.

The quilt was patterned after a quilt I saw from "Film in the Fridge" (Blocks & Stripes). 

For the quilting I did a meandering path with 30 images inserted here and there. 
frog, turtle and a bit of one of the nine flowers


long-legged bird

pig and spider - When I was quilting I ended up with a small area next to the pig.
I went in later and added the spider. I guess I should have labeled this as Wilbur and Charlotte

I made a label for the back - thanks to some google research and HP instructions. I used fabric ironed to freezer paper, ran it through my inkjet printer, heat set it with an iron and voila! It worked great. Not only was it cheaper, but I could choose the exact fabric I wanted to use.
The label, the flannel backing (can't believe I found such a great match)
and the Marcia Derse fabric for the binding.
I am still in the process of learning how to take better photos of my work. The hardest part for me is getting the color to be true. Here is one more shot of the quilt that I think gives the best record of the colors.

This was so fun to make and went together very quickly. I love how this pattern shows off all of the fun fabrics.

Kathryn's T-Shirt Quilt

Started: Dec. 15, 2012
Completed: Dec. 21, 2012
Size: 49 1/2" x 65 1/2"

My son, Daniel, sent my blog out to some of his friends which resulted in my first commissioned piece - a t-shirt quilt. Daniel's friend, Sam, sent me 5 t-shirts to work up into a lap quilt as a Christmas gift for his wife, Kathryn. I finished it just in time to mail it back east where it arrived on Christmas Eve.

It was an interesting challenge for me to tie in the reds, maroon and green but I was happy with the end result.

All of the logos were from the t-shirts except for this Bates bobcat. When I was doing the layout for the quilt, no matter how I arranged the blocks, I found I needed one more design. I photocopied an image of the bobcat logo and used that to make this appliqu├ęd piece for the quilt. I used some left over white t-shirt fabric along with the maroon fabric from the Bates t-shirt in the upper righthand corner of the quilt. 

To the right of this block I added little rectangles of some of the border fabrics used on the logo blocks to help tie things together. I also used these same fabrics for the pieced strips on the left and right sides of the quilt.